The Half Dollar has been minted since 1794. There are quite a few different types of Half Dollars.
- Flowing Hair 1794 to 1795
- Draped Bust Small Eagle 1796 to 1797
- Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle 1801 to 1807
- Capped Bust Lettered Edge 1807 to 1836
- Capped Bust Reeded Edge 1836 to 1839
- Liberty Seated No Motto 1839 to 1866
- Liberty Seated Arrows and Rays 1853
- Liberty Seated Arrows 1854 to 1855
- Liberty Seated with Motto 1866 to 1891
- Liberty Seated Arrows 1873 to 1874
- Barber 1892 to 1916
- Walking Liberty 1916 to 1947
- Franklin 1948 to 1963
- Kennedy 1964 to Present
Personal Note: For collectors new to the hobby, I always recommend that one of the first sets they should try to complete is the Franklin Half set. It is a relatively small set and very affordable in lower grades.